Thursday, August 25, 2011

What's a Girl to Do? Charlie's Story...

Livin' the good life!

Now, let me tell you, I have some attitude. I’ve had to!  Things started a little rocky and well, here I am ready to compete in my first dog show.  Excited and nervous, all at the same time.  But, let me start at the beginning.

I was not planned.  But I was here with my seven siblings.  When we were old enough, all of my littermates were adopted. All but me.  I put on my best manners and loved up to anyone who would listen, but to no avail.  At last, a family took me home to live with them.  Life was good.  I had children to shower with all kinds of kisses!  But one day, my family forgot I was outside when they left the house.  It was a hot July day and I was snoozing in the only cool spot I could find, under the car.  I woke up with my legs in excruciating pain!  What happened!?  My legs were the victim of ‘tire poisoning’.  Run over in my own driveway.  My family rushed me to the Animal Clinic in Wilmore.  I was not afraid.  I had kisses to pass along to my girl who was crying as she hugged me.  How could I help her?  I tried wagging my tail and licking her tears. Then they left me. 

I did not know it then, but I was to start a new life with a new family.  The staff at the Animal Clinics of Wilmore and Equestrian Woods took me under their wing and vowed to fix me.  Severely injured, with no guarantee I could recover from five breaks in my legs and pelvis, I continued to keep my positive attitude, passing out kisses freely and never stopped waging my tail!

Three surgeries later, I was hobbled by a hip to toe cast and struggling to accomplish the routine of daily life.  I was young though, and my bones were still growing and healed quickly.  Since my recovery required close daily supervision, I began to spend weekends at Dr. Carl’s house.  My spirit never waivered and by November, I had ingratiated myself to Dr. Carl, but more importantly to my new dad. I knew it was a done deal when I took my first road trip to the beach.
  
Lazy dog day at my wonderful home!

My new life!  I’m told I am a very lucky little dog. My new name was Charlie Chip, after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Able to walk, run and jump after all I have been through!  I have two goldens to mother and four cats to herd.  Mom even takes me running at the farm with Chip, our horse.  I am a diligent chaser of deer, rabbits, chipmunks, and any bird wandering into my path.  But, I was missing my desire to help someone.  So, when clinic staffers participated in obedience classes, I enthusiastically signed on as Brandi’s partner!  Best Friends Obedience hosted us for six wonderful weeks of training and I had so much fun!  I graduated on the first try!  That is when Mom had her ‘aha’ moment and our training for Rally obedience began.  We have spent many hours training and our first show is next week.


Practicing my show face!

I am unique at the AKC sanctioned Bluegrass Classic dog show as this is only the second year that mixed breed dogs are able to compete.  That’s me, a mixed breed all American dog!  Bonnie, acting as my press agent, has me scheduled for four television appearances:  A local celebrity! Stay tuned for updates about our show ring experience.

One thing for sure, none of this would have been possible without every person who has touched my life.  I know now how blessed my life has been.



1 comment:

  1. Oh My GOSH! I know why fate brought us to Animal Clinic at Equestrian Woods. . . . the only people as nutty as we are about animals! I love you guys for it and wish you all of the luck in the world!

    ReplyDelete