Thursday, September 8, 2011

Charlie's Story: Rally Competition




What a whirlwind couple of weeks!  Up before the roosters and bleary eyed for television interviews, then off to the Lexington Kennel Club dog show for my first ever obedience rally competition.  Sleep was becoming a precious commodity for a busy brown dog on the go.  Bill Bryant, Lee Cruse (who referred to me as a mutt), Stacy Ellisson ( my favorite ) and Kristi Runyon were welcoming and happy to have me and my new four legged friends on the set.  Bonnie was a master spokesperson, giving first rate interviews with each station.

Was it ever hot for the first three days of the competition!  This little brown dog absorbs all the sunlight.  Mom had to keep me iced down to prevent overheating.  My first two days I posted a perfect 100 score on the course!  By day three, I was wearing down and had a minor bobble, posting a 98.  But it was a sweep, winning all three days against the pure breeds.  This completed my novice title!  I am now officially Charlie Chip, RN ( Rally Novice ). 

Day four brought a tough decision.  I could continue to compete at the same level or move up into the advanced level, off leash.  Mom (with prodding from Dad ) decided to move me onward since my performance was stellar.  Boy was she nervous.  Advance adds harder maneuvers, jumping and is off leash. (boy could I have some fun with that! ) I’ll admit we needed work on some of the advance maneuvers and she drilled me hard that night!  “Team Charlie” showed up the next morning ( t-shirts in place ) to give emotional support.  Needless to say, I performed like a pro and posted a 96, thus earning the first rally advanced leg of my title.  Why would they doubt me?

I’m just glad to have the last few days to SLEEP!  I have been blessed to have great friends following me and my story.  I will continue onward toward my advanced, then an excellent rally title.  A huge accomplishment for this little All American dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment