Friday, July 29, 2011

A Nightmare Night With a Post-Neuter Pooch...

Buddy

It's 2:25 am, and Buddy, my Pit Bull mix, is standing at the side of my bed yelling at me, wanting me to help him onto the bed. He tries to jump up himself, but everytime he does, his e-collar catches the side of the bed, and he crashes back to the floor. I realize, if I am going to get any sleep, I'm going to have to lift him into bed. I crawl out of bed, half asleep, and hoist my 55 lb. dog into bed, thinking I will finally be able to rest. Wrong! Buddy then begins to "alligator roll" twisting and turning, pawing, crying and whining at his e-collar trying to get it off..and so my night continued.

I write to you today, in a sleep-walking state, to let you know that even the Veterinary Clinic staff have problems, lol. Buddy was neutered by Dr. Carl yesterday. I was a nervous wreck going into his surgery, we neuter animals every week, but it's different when it's your own baby. The surgery went off without a hitch, and then he woke up. Within the first 30 minutes of waking up, Buddy decided he needed one less stitch than Dr, Carl thought he did, this is where the e-collar enters the story. As soon as I placed an e-collar on him, he started thrashing around his cage, flipping over backwards, like it was the end of the world! I felt like such a mean mommy, and from the look he was giving me, I'm pretty sure he thought I was a mean mommy too!

To say that he hates his e-collar is an understatement. I keep telling him it's for his own good, but he doesn't want to hear that. But in the end, he will simply have to pout about it for a few days, because he has already shown what he will do if he can get to his incision... Buddy is about 5 years old now, I've had him about a year, he is my little rescue. I've loved him from the start, and he's been a great dog, but it's gonna be a long week!

Sorry Buddy, Mommy loves you!

Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment