Thursday, July 21, 2011

Piper Needs A Home


 I had just sat down on my couch after returning home from work when I heard an insistent meow. I stuck my head in the bedroom where my cats lounge and saw nothing out of the ordinary. They looked at me as if to say "What lady? We're trying to nap here!"  Thinking I might be hearing things, I sat back down to relax.
Again I heard a meow that refused to be ignored. Suddenly a little white face appeared in the kitchen windowsill. She begged me to come out and see her. When I stepped outside she quickly jumped down and weaved in and out of my legs purring loudly. My husband jokes that my first thought when I see an animal outdoors is that it must be hungry. True to form, I ran back inside and grabbed bowls of food and water. She quickly dug into the food, eating as fast as she could manage. She was extremely thin and it looked as if she had not received a solid meal in quite a while. She had no form of identification. I live in a fairly small neighborhood and I did not recognize her as a resident outdoor cat. I sat and watched her clean out her bowl and she appeared grateful when I gave her a refill. After she had her fill, she found a spot in the sun and lounged. I decided to leave her to her nap as I had adequately filled her belly. Later, when I peeked out the window and did not see her I assumed she was just passing through. She had a different plan. The next morning, there she was in the window ready to be acknowledged and of course fed. My indoor cats were visibly offended that I had offered this outsider the windowsill. As it now appeared that she was sticking close, my next step was to see if she had been implanted with a microchip. I packed her up in a carrier and brought her to the clinic. She was less than thrilled with the car ride, although I explained to her that she needed to comply if I was going to help her find a new home. No microchip was found. I knew that I was now charged with finding her a loving home. We moved forward with testing her for feline leukemia and FIV, both of which were negative. Dr Carl then spayed her and vaccinated her. After her spay procedure as I set up her cage for recovery I yelled to DeAnna that I needed some "paper" (newspaper) for the bottom of the kennel. She replied, "Who's Piper?" And so it was that my southern accent named that sweet white cat. I am now in the process of finding the perfect home for Piper. She is an affectionate cat that loves people and more specifically their laps. Do you or someone you know have room for her in your life? If so, please contact me at the clinic. (859) 224-1418

Brandi

1 comment:

  1. She is beautiful! Unfortunately no room at our inn but I will share and keep my eyes and ears open.

    ReplyDelete